Stress is an unavoidable part of life. Whether it be our personal lives, jobs, or the state of the world, stress is inevitable. The natural human instinct under intense pressure is to relieve ourselves of stress; unfortunately, many do that in unhealthy manners. A great way to focus on reducing stress is by focusing on deep breathing and relaxation.
Take a moment, and take a deep breath in. Now take a deep breath out. You may already notice a difference in your stress levels. Your breath is a unique tool that can alter heart rate, stress levels, and blood pressure.
Try the following steps to focus on your deep breathing:
- Find a place that provides comfort and privacy. If possible, try to get away from noises or possible disturbances.
- Get comfortable! Find a place to lie down, or sit with your feet flat on the ground and your arms relaxed in your lap.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose.
- Breathe out slowly through your nose.
- As you breathe in again, place one hand on your chest and one hand on your stomach.
- Breathe out again slowly and take notice of your body’s reactions.
As you breathe in and out slowly, the hand on your stomach should be moving more than the hand on your chest.
As you continue breathing, it’s essential to focus on the next stage, which involves visualization. As you continue to breathe in and out slowly, try to calm the flow of thoughts in your mind. Try to imagine a peaceful place from a memory or a scene created in your own imagination. If it’s hard to focus on a scene, consider focusing on a word or phrase as you continue your deep breathing session.
Utilizing deep breathing when it comes to stress is a great way to relax. Try taking time to practice your breathing one or two times a day, and you will absolutely notice a difference.